From: Lars Gullik Bjønnes (larsbj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-08 13:36:30

Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:

| "That is, if you link with libfoo.so.3.3.3, the linker only
| records 3.3 in the headers, and will link with anything starting with
| libfoo.so.3.(anything >= 3).(highest available)."
>
| That means that if one links to *.so.1.31.0, the FreeBSD linker will
| try and link to *.so.1.32.0 if available. Personally I'd say the
| linker is broken in this respect, as it doesn't follow the historical
| major.minor.patch where only patch revisions are compatible use. And
| Boost is certainly not the only library follow this so I can only
| imagine the havoc this causes all around.

This is not usually how so-versions are done.

The number on a shared lib most often signifies the API/ABI version.
That is ortogonal to the version of the lib itself.

This warning is given in the documentation for libtool (and I know
that boost does not use libtool):

   *_Never_* try to set the interface numbers so that they correspond
   to the release number of your package. This is an abuse that only
   fosters misunderstanding of the purpose of library versions.

--
	Lgb