From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-08 16:10:17

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:43:27 +0000 (UTC), Martin wrote
> Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:
> > How does your decimal library compare to Bill Seymore's library that we
> > reviewed some time ago?
> "Some time ago" is 3 years since the last post here so I assumed the
> project was dead.

Yep, I think that's safe to assume.

> But how much difference can it be? Decimal math
> either uses fixed precision or floating point and then rounding can
> either be tied to type or operation. I choosed fixed precision and
> rounding based on type. If I understood correctly Bill Seymore used
> fixed precision and rounding on operation.

Well, you might want to scour the archives and see if you can see what led to
the downfall of Bill's library during the review (I seem to recall there were
several things, but those memories are way off the stack by now). Obviously
you'll want to make sure you have that ground covered if you are serious about
getting this into boost.

> > With the C and C++ committee's working on a decimal arithmetic technical
> > report, have you considered how your library will support future decimal
> > types that come out of that effort?
>
> Depends on what you mean. My decimal type will probably be obsolete
> when these new types arrive but the money type shold be able to use
> them with a wrapper for construction and extraction.

I'm not so sure about that. From I've read about the committee's work it's
been mostly at the C level and targeted a decimal types in general. I don't
think it addresses the fixed precision / rounding capabilities of your type --
but it's possible I missed something.

> Also, I have tried to look at the committe's work but don't really
> understand how rounding will work with these new types.

I haven't seen anything on that either...

Jeff