From: Martin (adrianm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-08 15:43:27

Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:
> How does your decimal library compare to Bill Seymore's library that we
> reviewed some time ago?
"Some time ago" is 3 years since the last post here so I assumed the project
was dead.
But how much difference can it be? Decimal math either uses fixed precision
or floating point and then rounding can either be tied to type or operation. I
choosed fixed precision and rounding based on type. If I understood correctly
Bill Seymore used fixed precision and rounding on operation.

The rest is just about interface and there I'm open to suggestions on what
should be member functions and what should be free functions. Currently my
interface is rather bloated and everything is member functions.

> With the C and C++ committee's working on a decimal arithmetic technical
> report, have you considered how your library will support future decimal
> types that come out of that effort?

Depends on what you mean. My decimal type will probably be obsolete when these
new types arrive but the money type shold be able to use them with a wrapper
for construction and extraction.

Also, I have tried to look at the committe's work but don't really understand
how rounding will work with these new types.