From: Mithun R K (mithun.radhakrishnan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-11 12:00:42

Hello, Jason/all.

I find the discussion around the new/improved Singleton template very
exciting.

Perhaps a month ago, I'd written a Singleton class template in a manner
similar to Jason's initial approach (though not *nearly* as
cool/customizable). I.e.

template < typename T, int Longevity = static_cast<int>( T::Longevity ) >
struct Singleton : public SingletonBase, public T
{...};

My approach was:

1. Have a single SingletonRegistry that would keep pointers to all Singleton
instances (well, actually, SingletonBase instances. SingletonBase is not a
class-template.)
2. Each instance has a longevity-int associated with it. At
destruction-time, we sort the singleton-instances based on their relative
longevities, and destroy the objects in order.
It's kinda up to the "client" of Singleton<T> to figure out the
collaboration between her classes, and assign longevity-values to her
classes.
3. Singleton<T> instances are "registered" with the SingletonRegistry, by
its constructor.
4. Singleton<T>::~Singleton() lets the registry know that the instance may
be destroyed. The SingletonRegistry destroys the instance if all singletons
with a lesser longevity have already been marked for destruction. (I guess
that's simple mark-and-sweep.)

I'd be honoured and grateful if anyone has comments on this approach. I'd be
happy to furnish details/code if anyone's interested/cares.

I have a couple of (naïve?) questions regarding the new approach:

1. Why was the old approach abandoned in favour of CRTP? The reason I went
with the above was that I wanted Singleton<T>& to be able to replace T&. I
wanted the Singleton template to fit around an existing class definition, as
inobtrusively as possible. Would somebody kindly clarify?

2. At least in Jason's first version, the Singleton class-template had a
static Singleton<T> instance. Wouldn't that cause the instance to *always*
be instantiated at load-time? I used a function-static instead, as follows:

/*private*/ Singleton<T>::Singleton()
                : SingletonBase( Longevity ), T() // <--- Assuming Default
Constructor. Help!
{
        //...
        SingletonRegistry::getInstance().registerSingleton( this ) ;
}

/*static*/ T& Singleton<T>::getInstance()
{
        static T* pInstance = new Singleton<T>() ;
        return *pInstance ;
}

The instance won't be created until required. A possible problem with using
a function-static is that I might need double-checked locking to ensure that
multiple threads don't construct the same instance (multiply). IMHO, that's
not a problem here since pInstance is a static. I'm guessing most reasonable
compilers ensure that the static's constructor is called only once, via
double-checked locking. (I use aCC 5.56 on HPUX 11i. I have confirmation at
least for aCC.) I'm just piggy-backing on that. Comments? Would that break
on other compilers?

3. Say an application uses multiple shared libs. Say Singleton<MyClass> is
used in more than one library. The definition of the static
singleton-instance is in the template header (assuming that we're not using
template exports, and all this stuff is inline). There's a good chance that
the definition of Singleton<MyClass> might be generated multiply in
different libraries of the same app. Won't that mean that there will be more
than 1 instance of Singleton<MyClass>? I'm not sure how to get around this
right now. Ideas?

4. Will there be issues with dependencies across shared libraries? Say
Singleton<MyClass> depends on Singleton<Logger> because MyClass::~MyClass()
needs to log stuff. If these are in separate libraries, won't the order in
which the libraries are unloaded pose a problem?

In my specific application, the libraries are loaded using dlopen() and
unloaded using dlclose(). It involves some libraries being unloaded/reloaded
several times, while other libraries remain loaded much longer. In my code,
I use static variables (associated with each Singleton instance) to "detect"
that a library is being unloaded, and "unregister" that lib's Singletons
from the SingletonRegistry. I'm still exploring Jason's implementation, to
see how this is dealt with... Or if this is even a problem.

I look forward to comments. If anyone would like clarifications/code, I'd be
honoured.

With best regards,
Mithun