From: Amerio (amerio_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-12 15:35:51

>>> After compiling libboost_thread-gcc-mt.so on debian/gcc-2.95.4,
>>> this so weights 195kB
[...]
> Without read_write_mutex the size of gcc/release/shared build is 46K.
> With read_write_mutex the size is 136K.
>
> Wow, that's a difference!
>
> When I comment out explicit template instantiations in that source
> file, the library is becomes 76K. The comment says explicit
> instantination are needed to detect syntax errors in templates but
> those instantination bloat the library.

Would there be any problem if I comment out the explicit instantations in
this file for production code ?
Are they in there *only* for syntax checking ???
In this case, what about commiting a new rev in the cvs without this ?
Note : In my case, 100kB wasted is large enough to be an issue (running low
on free space, embedded system)