From: Don G (dongryphon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-29 12:02:55

Not to be contentious, but IMHO it seems that shared_ptr's reach has
exceeded its grasp. After looking thoroughly into shared_ptr, I have
major doubts about what appear to be design-induced inefficiencies:

1. There is no support for "introducing" shared_ptr to a type T such
that shared_ptr would use an intrusively managed count. This is just
about required in my book for practicle use of reference counting in
large applications. I see intrusive_ptr<>, but this would not help
template code that wanted to share ownership of some type T; should
it use shared_ptr<T> or intrusive_ptr<T>? Only type T knows.

2. The idea of weak_ptr seems to force external reference counting
and a mutex (of some sort) to guard the counter(s). If there is a
safe way to use lock-free counting and still get the assurances of
weak_ptr::lock, I'm not clever enough to see it. Also, I can see no
hope of tuning shared_ptr<T> for intrusive counting and keep
weak_ptr. To me, this feature is worth no more than sizeof(ref_count)
per object and no hidden locks, at least on platforms that support
atomic integer operations. weak_ptr<T> would not be available if
shared_ptr<T> was based on intrusion, again unless someone more
clever than I could find a way to do so that wouldn't burden code
that doesn't use weak_ptr.

3. The deleter feature also adds virtual function bloat as well as
more per-object overhead. To me, this kind of overhead would preclude
use of shared_ptr in all by the most trivial applications. The
problem again is that this is not something that can be avoided by
shunning the use of some features. For example, if the deleter where
part of a shared_ptr<void> specialization or something.

While I like the aesthetics of these features, I can see little
practicle need for them given their cost. In other words, I would
trade both of them for the knoweldge that I could "use the
shared_ptr, Luke" without concern for such bloat. Herb Sutter
advocated this position in a recent C++ User Journal article, which
is what sparked my curiousity in the first place.

Again, perhaps I've missed something profound and fundamental in the
specification of shared_ptr that would allow for these features and a
highly effecient implementation of basic reference counting. As I see
it, I will have to keep my own counted_ptr which does "just the
counting, ma'am."

My $2e-02,
Don

=====