From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-29 11:58:44

All the above is correct. The native binary format in the serialization
library is not guarenteed portable between compilers/libraries/machine
architectures.

The serialization library includes as a demo a portable binary archive
class. This makes integers portable across architectures. It fails to
address the issue of making floats/double portable. If someone was really
interested in this it wouldn't be too hard to add this. In fact, I received
a proposal to do just that.

I presume this hasn't been done because no one has had sufficient interest
to do it.

To summarize, those requiring file portability can use text or xml archives,
those requiring maximum runtime efficiency can use native binary archives.
That's the way it stands today.

Robert Ramey