From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-30 12:15:18

troy d. straszheim wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>> Attempting to check out the latest Boost I am being stopped by:
>>
>> cvs checkout: [23:53:01] waiting for agurtovoy's lock in
>> /cvsroot/boost/boost/libs/utility/doc
>>

> I got this last night as well, and now I get:
>
> cvs update: [11:54:03] waiting for martin_wille's lock in
> /cvsroot/boost/boost/tools/build/v2/test/m1-03
>
> CVS has now thwarted my last four attempts to check out. I wonder if
> "subversion" has been considered as an alternative? IMHO it is well
> worth playing with. I have used it with excellent results, the
> subversion team has preserved the interface of CVS and fixed many
> issues that I had come to accept as the facts of life (takes forever
> to update/diff, can't version directory structure, lock problems...)
> Maybe I'm the only one feeling CVS pain, but if there were interest I
> could easily import boost into a publicly availably subversion
> repository for people to play with.

I am all for Subversion also, since I have used it successfully in
professional work and am doing so now. It is irritating that one is not able
to get the latest Boost because of these lock problems. However that may not
be a CVS versus Subversion issue. No doubt a CVS expert will tell me whether
it is or not.