From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-30 23:33:45

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:15:18 -0500, Edward Diener wrote
>> troy d. straszheim wrote:
>>
>> I am all for Subversion also, since I have used it successfully in
>> professional work and am doing so now. It is irritating that one is
>> not able to get the latest Boost because of these lock problems.
>> However that may not be a CVS versus Subversion issue. No doubt a
>> CVS expert will tell me whether it is or not.

Yes, we have run to the edge of CVS's capabilities. How long does it
take you to update?

> Subversion isn't a realistic choice at the moment unless we are
> going to move away from sourceforge for repository hosting.

Actually the moderators have been discussing doing just that. OSL is
going to provide us with SVN support. The mods just agreed that I
would announce the idea here so people can get used to it, and so we
can make the move when the resources become available (about a month
away).

Here's a short SVN Q&A:

http://subversion.tigris.org/

> * Will nightly tarballs be available?

That's up to whoever administrates the system, but it seems
super-likely that we can get OSL to do it.

> * Who will administrate? Are they experienced with Subversion?

OSL will administer the hardware; they have several projects using
Subversion at OSL, at least one of which is comparable in size to
Boost. Hopefully their sysadmins will grant the boost moderators full
admin privileges over the SVN repository. Doug Gregor (who is at OSL)
says:

  "I think we can do this. Subversion doesn't seem to have quite as many
   issues as CVS, so we shouldn't need help as often, but the sysadmins
   will be responsive and there are several Boosters on-site."

> * Will Web access similar to ViewCVS be available?

I'm pretty sure we can make it available; see
http://geekswithblogs.net/flanakin/articles/CompareSubversionWebTools.aspx

> * Why are you suggesting Subversion rather other CVS competitors?

It's designed to be the successor to CVS; it's open source. Some of
us have experience with it.

Yeah; see http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/

> * Can any boosters with hands-on Subversion experience comment on
> usefulness, reliability, etc?

Yes; I can, or any of the OSL guys.

> * Should we move boost-sandbox first to gain experience?

Interesting idea.

> * Will Rene's vault software still work?

AFAIK that's independent of version control, so there's no reason it
shouldn't.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting