From: Deane Yang (deane_yang_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-31 14:40:45

Phil Richards wrote:
> The point is we don't need anybody to take the strain because their
> isn't any. Unit conversion and/or unit enforcement just isn't done.
> Anywhere. At all. Ever.
>
> We just want dimensionality checking on what, in some cases, is quite
> horribly complex calculations. (And I'm really hoping the "auto" type
> deduction extension gets added into the new standard to make our
> temporaries much easier to write!)

I want to refrain from participating in the discussion, since I have not
worked on this as intensively as you and Andy. But perhaps it would be
helpful for everyone, if you remind us what you are using your
dimensions library for. Are you also doing physical dimensions (but
always using the same units for each dimension) or is it something else?

(For what it's worth, despite whatever opinions I have expressed in
earlier discussions, I support the serious consideration and acceptance
of ANY dimensions or units library, whether it meets my personal needs
or not. It is long overdue. Unfortunately, people like me have
contributed to the general paralysis. I hope that someone who has
developed such a library would shrug off all the criticisms and just
push ahead with submitting it, even if it does not meet everyone's
needs. I am hopeful that once such a library is accepted into boost and
used by more people, there will be more impetus towards ongoing
improvements and enhancements towards a library more suited towards my
own needs.)