From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-31 15:59:50

On 2005-01-31, Deane Yang <deane_yang_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I want to refrain from participating in the discussion, since I have not
> worked on this as intensively as you and Andy. But perhaps it would be
> helpful for everyone, if you remind us what you are using your
> dimensions library for. Are you also doing physical dimensions (but
> always using the same units for each dimension) or is it something else?

The former. All values stored with dimensionality specified are assumed
to be in the relevant SI unit.

We use the library as a safety check within simulation and modelling of
real world scenarios. For various reasons, I can't say much more than
that about what we do... We do use the library to represent *all*
dimensioned variables, and accept the performance hit in compilation
times. The benefits of checking easily outweigh the downsides.

We've also had to address the absolute versus relative stuff, but that's
a different discussion :-)

phil

--
change name before "@" to "phil" for email