From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-03 23:47:26

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 22:22:22 -0600, David B. Held wrote
> Walter Landry wrote:
> > David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> no OSL (http://osl.iu.edu)
> >
> > One possibility would be to have OSL just host a CVS server,
> > and see whether that clears up most of the problems.

It's an interesting suggestion to try out CVS at OSL -- it would carry far
less risk and could serve as a stepping stone to SVN at OSL. It would be very
easy to go back if it went wrong. It also means we wouldn't be violating the
all important 'change one thing at a time' principle.

> I think passing up an opportunity to migrate to SVN would be
> contrary to the spirit of Boost being a cutting-edge community.

Spirit can be sapped by a lack of volunteers with too much work...

> It's not like it's a gratuitous switch with no obvious benefits.
> I think anybody who's taken a look at SVN can see that there are
> definitely improvements over CVS.

While I agree there are likely benefits, it doesn't come without significant
cost and risk that isn't really focused on our main mission (see my other
posts).

We have 86 'committers' listed on the SF page and we've really only heard the
opinions of a few -- mostly me and Dave. I'm certain that it's time for me to
shut up now and listen to others ;-)

Jeff