From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-05 14:17:25

Beman Dawes wrote:

> ***** Serious Problem ***** The initial checkout seemed to be working my
> DSL connection pretty hard, so I started Task Manager and monitored
> "bytes received". By the time the checkout finished, over 800 megabytes
> had been received! I tried a completely fresh CVS checkout for
> comparison; the received byte count was 12.5 megabytes. CVS uses
> compression (although you have to remember to turn it on); I couldn't
> find any mention of a compression option in the SVN docs, and a search
> of RapidSVN menus didn't turn up any way to turn on compression. We
> would need to solve this problem since 800 megabyte checkouts aren't
> acceptable for dial-up users.

800 MB is a lot more than Boost's size.
Could it be you downloaded all revisions of Boost?

If the tool that was used to create the SVN repository uses
a layout similar to what is proposed in the SVN book and if
the tools created tags analogue to what was present in the
CVS then you should checkout the /trunk subdirectory for
getting the head revision only. If you omit the /trunk then
you get all versions ever tagged.

Regards,