From: Pavol Droba (droba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-05 18:49:27

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 06:17:16PM -0500, Edward Diener wrote:
> troy d. straszheim wrote:
> > Edward Diener wrote:

> >> No difference. My guess is any compression occurs on the server
> >> repository, not on the .svn directories created on the client side.
> >>

> > There are two things going on here... The first is how much space a
> > checkout takes up on local disk, and SVN is going to be probably twice
> > as large as CVS, because it caches an entire copy of the checkout,
> > which
> > is why "svn diff" is very fast and works when you're offline.
> > (*sweet*)
> > Am I correct in thinking that 288MB and 96MB, above, correspond to
> > on-disk size?
>
> Yes, that is correct.
>
> That does not bother me, perhaps because I have much disk space and a DSL
> connection. I do not know whether it will bother others. As far as download
> speed, I think SVN was actually faster than CVS but I did not bother to time
> it. If I had a dial-up modem instead, perhaps I would have done so.

Hi,

 I'm using svn for almost a year now as a production system.
 From my experience, svn updates are much faster then cvs. Also traffic
 is smaller once you get the repository, since the commit sends patches
 both ways, unlike the cvs.

 I can also confirm, that it works very well over a dial-up connection.
 One of my collegues is using it like that. Although we do the initial
 checkout on some faster connection (and transport the repository on CD to his machine).
 Once, the repository is there, is works reasonably well through the modem.

Regards,

Pavol