From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-05 19:20:09

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:17:16 -0500, Edward Diener wrote

> > There are two things going on here... The first is how much space a
> > checkout takes up on local disk, and SVN is going to be probably twice
> > as large as CVS, because it caches an entire copy of the checkout,
> > which
> > is why "svn diff" is very fast and works when you're offline.
> > (*sweet*)
> > Am I correct in thinking that 288MB and 96MB, above, correspond to
> > on-disk size?
>
> Yes, that is correct.
>
> That does not bother me, perhaps because I have much disk space and
> a DSL connection. I do not know whether it will bother others. As
> far as download speed, I think SVN was actually faster than CVS but
> I did not bother to time it. If I had a dial-up modem instead,
> perhaps I would have done so.

Well my results are 'interesting'. Like Edward my on disk size for SVN is
288MB and CVS is 96MB -- this is on WinXP. I put a network snooper (ethereal)
on while doing a full checkout and the results are a bit odd:

           Packets Bytes Time (minutes)
TurtleSVN 21,846 19,608,899 ~6
WinCVS 77,184 69,223,709 ~4.5

I don't have an explanation for the results other than the possibility the in
fact there is more compression with TurtleSVN. Frankly I'm dubious about the
measurements except the part where SVN was 1.5 minutes slower...

Otherwise, TurtleSVN seems easy to use and does a nice job. I was able to
modify a file, do a check-in, see the log changes. For basic 'head-based'
development it seems like the learning time was very small. I really like the
SVN URL approach for the repository path. This is so much easier to
understand the the CVS root :pserver:blah_blah_blah stuff (I had to spend 5
minutes remembering how to do that again with WinCVS).

One problem I encounted was an error when I tried to run a 'revision graph' on
a file. The file is:

libs/date_time/xmldoc/gregorian_autodoc.boostbook

The error is:

REPORT request failed on /boost/!svn/bc/19699
The REPORT request returned invalid XML in the response: XML parse error at
the line 203135:not well-formed (invalid token)(/boost/!svn/bc/19699)

Not sure if this is a TortoiseSVN problem or something about the repository setup.

Jeff

ps: Double thx to Troy for setting this up -- it has been very helpful!