From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-06 04:52:29

troy d. straszheim wrote:
> SVN accomodates this structure quite nicely. In the spirit of
> considering the project structure carefully, here's a few thoughts.
> Assume that you have your libraries broken up as in the jakarta example
> above. boost would look something like this:
>
> /boost
> /boost
> /shared_ptr
> /trunk
> /branches/v1.0
> /branches/v1.1
> /type_traits
> /trunk
> /branches/v1.0
> /branches/some_other_branch
> /libs
> /shared_ptr
> /trunk
> /branches/v1.0
> /type_traits
> /trunk
> /branches/v1.0
> /branches/some_other_branch
> /tools
> /trunk
> /branches/v1.0
>
> Now that kind of looks like a nightmare, but svn makes it pretty easy to
> handle. A checkout of the trunk should assemble the trunks of each
> sublibrary locally in such a way that immediately after the checkout,
> you're ready to bjam without additional work. Named releases should do
> something similar, but with various releases of various sublibraries.

I think this is a good idea, but the problem is that a lot of libraries
have code in the boost directory (such as boost/shared_ptr.hpp). They
could possibly be changed to just include the implementation from a
subdirectory. Would this be worth it? I actually think that might be a
good idea anyway.

This would be very nice for Spirit, which has two active versions.

Daniel