From: Alan Gutierrez (alan-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-06 06:34:49

* Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]> [2005-02-06 05:01]:
> troy d. straszheim wrote:
> >SVN accomodates this structure quite nicely. In the spirit of
> >considering the project structure carefully, here's a few thoughts.
> >Assume that you have your libraries broken up as in the jakarta example
> >above. boost would look something like this:
> >
> >/boost
> > /boost
> > /shared_ptr
> > /trunk
> > /branches/v1.0
> > /branches/v1.1
> > /type_traits
> > /trunk
> > /branches/v1.0
> > /branches/some_other_branch
> > /libs
> > /shared_ptr
> > /trunk
> > /branches/v1.0
> > /type_traits
> > /trunk
> > /branches/v1.0
> > /branches/some_other_branch
> > /tools
> > /trunk
> > /branches/v1.0
> >
> >Now that kind of looks like a nightmare, but svn makes it pretty easy to
> >handle. A checkout of the trunk should assemble the trunks of each
> >sublibrary locally in such a way that immediately after the checkout,
> >you're ready to bjam without additional work. Named releases should do
> >something similar, but with various releases of various sublibraries.
>
> I think this is a good idea, but the problem is that a lot of libraries
> have code in the boost directory (such as boost/shared_ptr.hpp). They
> could possibly be changed to just include the implementation from a
> subdirectory. Would this be worth it? I actually think that might be a
> good idea anyway.
>
> This would be very nice for Spirit, which has two active versions.

    How do you propose a person asssembles a boost checkout?

    Currently you simply run a single command to grab all of boost.

    cvs -d [pserver] co [module]

    Everything is pulled.

    With the above, would I not have to checkout...

    svn checkout http://foo.com/boost/shared_ptr/trunk shared_ptr
    svn checkout http://foo.com/boost/type_traits/trunk type_traits

        ... and so on, for every sub-library in boost?

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan_at_[hidden]