From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-10 15:58:55

> I do agree with you about the fact that good PBD should provide
> orthogonal policies, but the fundamental use for PBD is to delay
> implementation details to when they are needed,

It's only a side effect. Fundamental reason to use PBD is to introduce
granulation into your solution moving toward: one entity - one task
principle

> allowing easy to
> create and maintain yet flexible and extensible implementation. IMHO
> two policies (one for timer and one for logging) is more than enough
> for a profiling tool, how to collect data, when to report it how to
> report it, what estatistical analysis should be used are all policies
> for the logging policy, not the profiler.

And how does making logging policy parameterized with components simplify
your design?

> Some simple reports like
> "foo() - 50% - 10 ms" are usually more than enough for simple tasks.
> Let´s save the big guns for the big tasks ;)

We already have boost::timer for simple tasks.

I don't see how 4 policies make design more complex (IMO vice versa). And in
any case correct design is better in long run.

Gennadiy