From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-15 02:30:48

Joel de Guzman wrote:

> Ok, replying to myself, here's what I am planning:
>
> 1) I intend to refactor fusion to allow different forms of
> containers with varying characteristics. I plan to have:
> a) vector
> b) list
> c) set
> d) map
> 2) The unifying force is the (as usual): iterator
> 3) There will be intrinsic functions that work on specific
> containers (e.g. cons for lists; thus having full backward
> compatibility with old tuples).
> 4) As I intend to follow the MPL mold, I will follow MPL
> naming convention (e.g. "at" instead of "get", vector
> instead of tuple).
> 5) Provide a tuple TR1 interface on top of fusion.
> 6) Provide a backward compatible interface (for old tuples) on
> top of fusion.
>
> I'd like to hear your thoughts.

What namespaces would the various components go in? I understand the plan had
been to move the contents of boost::fusion into boost::tuples, but if the
primary sequence type is no longer going to be called tuple, I'd rather have
fusion stay in boost::fusion and just put the TR1 interface in boost::tuples.

Also, I think having both 5) and 6) will be confusing. I'd prefer to get rid of
6). This will obviously break some code, but it will be much easier to adapt old
code to the new interface than it was, e.g., to adapt code to use the new
iterator adaptors.

Jonathan