From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-15 18:22:15

Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> escribió en el mensaje

>> A correct assignment operator should typically handle self-assignment
>> without an explicit test. Adding the test usually doesn't fix the
>> problem, only its most obvious manifestation.
>
> Which could be accounted as good enough for classes intended to be
> used in certain ways, thus making the swap idiom overkill.

It would (probably) be OK to offer a "limited" assignment operator that
doesn't handle certain corner cases, but only if these cases are clearly
documented as part of the preconditions of operator=.

But I'm really not sure why should optional<> attempt to provide a basic
guarantee when the contained type does not (unless the basic guarantee is
free, which it isn't.) A type that doesn't provide the basic guarantee is
pretty much unusable.

It seems to me that the straightforward solution is to just defer to
T::operator= when necessary. Those that want destroy+recreate semantics can
always obtain them explicitly.