From: Julio M. Merino Vidal (jmmv84_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-20 12:42:24

Hi everyone,

a while ago, I started to write a little utility that aims to interact
with multiple VCS systems. I chose C++ (and I don't regret that
decision at all), so I had to create multiple classes to interact with
system internals and keep the "real" application code clean from such
OS-specific calls.

A few days ago, I decided to switch to use Boost in that project,
basically because I was interested in the Filesystem library. Doing
so, I have been able to remove some of my custom classes that dealt
with files and directories (and which were quite ugly). Furthermore,
this change has allowed me to use many other Boost goodies.

Among the classes I wrote, there are some that provide an abstraction
layer to launch other (child) processes. Once the process is launched,
the code can access its standard input/output/error streams by using the
standard iostreams framework.

I'm willing to reorganize (well, mostly rewrite from scratch) such
process-management classes to follow the Boost policies, aiming for
future integration in Boost.

But, before I start to do so, I would like to know if such library will
be adequate to be integrated and/or if there is interest in it.
FWIW, I've searched the mailing lists and found some people that said
that they missed this functionality in Boost.

Any comments?

Thanks in advance,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84_at_[hidden]>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/