From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-21 16:16:35

On 02/20/2005 10:35 PM, Dan Nuffer wrote:
[snip]
> Having dealt with running processes quite a lot, I'd say one of the most
> important features is providing a method of dealing with "misbehaving"
> processes. This may not seem obvious at first, but I learned this
> lesson the hard way several years ago. IMO, to be useful the library
> must provide a recovery mechanism for the case where a child process
> locks up and never produces any output or enters an infinite loop and
> never stops producing output.

By "locks up" did you mean deadlock as one instance of this. If so,
would a descriptor_lock like that descibed here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++.moderated/msg/c4c3bf55960e881b

be useful for recovery? What I had in mind was a table in each
thread local storage which contains blocked locks with requested
and acquired resouces. This could be used to detect cycles, and
hence deadlocks.