From: christopher diggins (cdiggins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-22 10:56:40

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron W. LaFramboise" <aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: Proposal: Library to manage processes

> Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
>> Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>>
>>>I'll let you know when I have a somewhat decent document that lists
>>>all the required features in detail as well as some design ideas to
>>>get some feedback. (Dunno when that'll be though; my time is
>>>probably going to be limited from now on...)
>>
>> Keep in mind that you only need to submit a very preliminary document to
>> geneate
>> further discussion. It's best to keep the discussion going while there
>> are a
>> number of people interested.
>
> Is there some way we have in this community to indicate a list of people
> interested in a certain topic?
>
> What I'd really like to do is say 'CC me whenever you post about this
> topic' but then thats sort of an unreasonable request. I get so much
> mail that I miss half of the stuff I'm interested in.

I agree. Here are a few ideas I have:

1. One approach is to use the wiki. We could ask that new library proposals
create a wiki page, and ask that those interested just add their name (or
nickname) to a list on the wiki page. However, the wiki I find is hard to
use and is aggressive with blocking (I am currently blocked!), so I don't
love this approach

2. Another option is to set up a new mailing list for each new library
discussions. This would help reduce noise on the main mailing list. This can
be done relatively quickly and easily using google groups.

3. Have the mailing list enforce some kind of subject naming convention. For
instance all future profiling library topics would arrive with the subject
tagged with [boost][new][profiling] and all existing libraries would be
tagged like [boost][old][mpl]. Clearly this is extra work for the moderators
to assure that the naming convention is followed but it could really help
eliminate noise, track topics, find messages, avoid redundancy, etc. There
could also be web services created which sort the topics into RSS feeds.

The third option is my favourite, but we would need to probably recruit more
moderators. Which is not neccessarily a bad idea. I would be willing to
volunteer to help if need be.

--
Christopher Diggins
Object Oriented Template Library (OOTL)