From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-22 14:40:46

"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hi again,
>
> you can find attached another typo fix; this time it's a change
> from neccessary to necessary. I first noticed this in a documentation
> file (from Boost.Build v2), but then decided to cleanup the whole
> source tree. It's gzipped to keep it small.
>
> Can anybody please apply this one (and possibly the other patches
> attached to my last two emails)?
>
> Thanks a lot,

Julio,

I appreciate the effort you've gone to in trying to improve Boost's
documentation. That said, in general, every Boost library and its
documentation is maintained by a different person. We watch the list
and look to see if bug reports, patches, and questions apply to us.
If I see a message declaring that it fixes a typo without mentioning
the library it fixes, I might not even look at it. If the message
contains a gzipped attachment I can't read without processing it, and
that refers to "my last two emails" that aren't even reachable through
the same discussion thread as this message and includes no links to
archived messages, the likelihood is that I'm going to decide it's not
worth my trouble. This is not ingratitude; it's just how things tend
to work out.

Global patches are especially hard, because somebody needs to take the
initiative to modify other peoples' stuff. If you want to make it
easier for maintainers, the first thing you could do is to post a new
message with a subject line that makes it clear you're posting a broad
patch to the documentation tree, that covers many libraries, and
consolidate all your patches into one attachment rather than doing it
in phases.

Regards,

--
Dave Abrahams