From: Julio M. Merino Vidal (jmmv84_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-22 15:23:46

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 14:40 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:

> Julio,
>
> I appreciate the effort you've gone to in trying to improve Boost's
> documentation. That said, in general, every Boost library and its
> documentation is maintained by a different person. We watch the list
> and look to see if bug reports, patches, and questions apply to us.
> If I see a message declaring that it fixes a typo without mentioning
> the library it fixes, I might not even look at it. If the message
> contains a gzipped attachment I can't read without processing it, and
> that refers to "my last two emails" that aren't even reachable through
> the same discussion thread as this message and includes no links to
> archived messages, the likelihood is that I'm going to decide it's not
> worth my trouble. This is not ingratitude; it's just how things tend
> to work out.

No worries; I understand your concerns. Sorry about the useless mail.
Looks like this list works a bit differently to the ones I'm used to
participate in (where referring to recent mails usually works and all
developers usually freely touch all the code ;). Anyway, thanks for the
explanations; I'll try to be more careful next time.

> Global patches are especially hard, because somebody needs to take the
> initiative to modify other peoples' stuff. If you want to make it
> easier for maintainers, the first thing you could do is to post a new
> message with a subject line that makes it clear you're posting a broad
> patch to the documentation tree, that covers many libraries, and
> consolidate all your patches into one attachment rather than doing it
> in phases.

Given that they are "hard", I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to
file a bug report in sourceforge rather than sending the patch to the
list? I sent them here at first because, according to the website,
there is a higher chance of being looked at.

Kind regards,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84_at_[hidden]>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/