From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-07 12:45:44

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> "Joel de Guzman" <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>
>>David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>>>One disadvantage of posting a preliminary tally is that it encourages
>>>people to try to influence public opinion. I just typed and erased
>>>something that hints at my preferences about three times. Make that
>>>four. Better press send now before I do something unethical.
>>
>>I was afraid about this happening. I hinted on progressively
>>posting the results in my preliminary heads-up message to the
>>boost moderators list and no-one objected, so I thought I'd give
>>transparency more weight. Perhaps I'm wrong. If you guys think
>>that a continuous tally is not a good idea, I'm all ears.
>>In fact, obviously, it will make my life easier to just do one
>>tally.
>

> IMO we shouldn't post any preliminary results. Would we sell TV right, for
> that continues updates would make it more attractive to watch. But for our
> purposes it's at best distracting if not influencing the outcome.

So perhaps we should also reconsider the way we vote for or
against a library? At first, I was thinking about asking
people to cast their votes on this list, boost style. I
hesitated because such a move might overwhelm the list. That
was the reason why I decided to setup a mail account for
taking the votes. Yet, following boost style, I thought it
was a good idea to post the ongoing results to the list.

Anyway, point well taken. I'll wait for other opinions.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com