From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-07 17:55:55

Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:

> From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
>> Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>> > Here's a suggestion for consideration:
>> >
>> > <H2>Effective Posting</H2>
>> > <H3>Subjects</H3>
>> > Always start your subject with <KBD>[boost]</KBD>. Many use that
>> > tag to filter incoming mail.
>>
>> Overkill. NObody relies on that now because Boost mail doesn't
>> typically have that tag. People can sort based on Original-X-From or
>> Reply-To. Many of us read it in a GMane newsgroup and it would just
>> clutter our subject lines. Subject lines ought to start with the
>> library/topic name as you suggest below.
>
> Every message I get from the list includes it and my procmail
> recipe relies on it, so clearly you overstated the case with
> "NObody."

Okay, sorry. I guess GMane is helpfully stripping it for me.

> That said, it seems "[boost]" is added automatically
> by the list server, which I wondered about, but figured someone
> would let me know.

Okay, we're good.

>> > where <I>Name</I> is the full name of the library.
>> > Libraries that are candidates for inclusion in Boost, whether at
>> > the conceptual stage or in the review queue, can be referenced
>> > without the <I>Boost</I> modifier or with the addition of
>> > <I>Candidate, </I>as in <I>Boost Candidate.Name</I>
>>
>> Seems contorted. What's wrong with
>>
>> Boost.Name candidate
>>
>> or
>>
>> candidate Boost.Name
>
> I was trying to ensure "Boost" wasn't connected too closely.
> With your version, "Boost.Name" still stands out since they are
> juxtaposed and capitalized. I was trying to make "Boost
> Candidate" akin to "Boost" in modifying a library name.

Well, my intention is to make things clear, but not to make people
write/speak unnaturally. I don't want to be heavyhanded about this.
I would like to see one other person agree with you that it's a good
idea before including it in the document.

>> And why are you capitalizing "candidate?"
>
> Because I was making the name "Boost Candidate.Name" rather than
> "Boost.Name." It could be "Boost.Candidate.Name," too.
>
>> > or <I>The
>> > Candidate Boost Name Library</I>.
>>
>> That's fine.
>
> But, if I follow your comments from above, neither "The" nor
> "Library" should be capitalized, right?

Right

> Then, there's still the
> question of whether "Candidate" should be capitalized.

Well, if anyone buys into your version with the dot that puts
"candidate" in the middle, you can capitalize it in that context as
far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, it's just an adjective and should be
lowercase.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting