From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-07 14:40:37

From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > Here's a suggestion for consideration:
> >
> > <H2>Effective Posting</H2>
> > <H3>Subjects</H3>
> > Always start your subject with <KBD>[boost]</KBD>. Many use that
> > tag to filter incoming mail.
>
> Overkill. NObody relies on that now because Boost mail doesn't
> typically have that tag. People can sort based on Original-X-From or
> Reply-To. Many of us read it in a GMane newsgroup and it would just
> clutter our subject lines. Subject lines ought to start with the
> library/topic name as you suggest below.

Every message I get from the list includes it and my procmail
recipe relies on it, so clearly you overstated the case with
"NObody." That said, it seems "[boost]" is added automatically
by the list server, which I wondered about, but figured someone
would let me know.

> > If your post is regarding a specific
> > Boost library, add a <KBD>[</KBD><I>name</I><KBD>]</KBD> tag,
> > where <I>name</I> is the library name in all lower case.
> >
> > <H3>Referencing Libraries</H3>
> > Boost libraries are named <I>Boost.Name</I> or <I>The Boost Name
> > Library</I>,
>
> We decided "library" was not part of of the name and should be
> lowercased. Clearly "the" should be lowercased.
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/110005

I couldn't remember.

> I suggest you fold this information into your suggested doc patch ;-)

I figured that was coming, too.

> > where <I>Name</I> is the full name of the library.
> > Libraries that are candidates for inclusion in Boost, whether at
> > the conceptual stage or in the review queue, can be referenced
> > without the <I>Boost</I> modifier or with the addition of
> > <I>Candidate, </I>as in <I>Boost Candidate.Name</I>
>
> Seems contorted. What's wrong with
>
> Boost.Name candidate
>
> or
>
> candidate Boost.Name

I was trying to ensure "Boost" wasn't connected too closely.
With your version, "Boost.Name" still stands out since they are
juxtaposed and capitalized. I was trying to make "Boost
Candidate" akin to "Boost" in modifying a library name.

> And why are you capitalizing "candidate?"

Because I was making the name "Boost Candidate.Name" rather than
"Boost.Name." It could be "Boost.Candidate.Name," too.

> > or <I>The
> > Candidate Boost Name Library</I>.
>
> That's fine.

But, if I follow your comments from above, neither "The" nor
"Library" should be capitalized, right? Then, there's still the
question of whether "Candidate" should be capitalized.