From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-09 10:47:55

From: Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]>
> Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
> > David Abrahams writes:
> >
> >>Or it doesn't iconify well, just for example.
> >
> > Never understood why it's important. What's the use case for it
> > besides that smallish icon in the browser's address line that hardly
> > anybody cares about? 95% of all the logos out there don't iconify well
> > or at all.
>
> Some browsers make more use of them. They appear on tabs and in the
> bookmarks menu. My browser also changes its window icon to match the
> current page so that it appears in taskbars, window lists and pagers.
> This is really useful when you have lots of windows open.
>
> But I agree that it wouldn't matter that much if the icon didn't match
> the logo. Something simple would work, such as a 'B'.

Many of the logos have stylized backgrounds/text from which the
"B" could be extracted so the icon has some connection to the
logo. Thus, my focus on logos with an accompanying graphical
element has lost its basis.

BTW, all of the discussion we're having turns out to be really
useful. The too strong association with Microsoft tools is a
killer for #67. :-( Ignoring the icon aspect will free me to
reexamine logos I previously dismissed. I'm sure others are
reevaluating their own selection criteria. It seems the "Boost
Way" is ideal for logo selection, too.