From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-20 15:25:14

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:53:48 -0600, Rene Rivera wrote
> Jeff Garland wrote:
>
> > Do we even have a way of tracking the check-ins? That might be a
> > good first
> > step. I notice that sourceforge seems to be generating some sort of email
> > when I check-in, but I don't know of a way to subscribe to the changelist.
>
> Yes we do. Dave and I, long ago, set up those emails SF sends so we
> could get Buildbot to work. So if we track CVS changes to the
> individual builds we can tell who and what breaks a build. Even
> though I'm still working on the buildbot here's a sneak peek..
> http://build.redshift-software.com:9990/

Very cool! No doubt buildbot will be a great asset -- when do you think it
will be ready to 'go production'?

> > others run several. So depending on when you check-in, it takes up to a
> > couple days to really see the results of all platforms/compilers.
> > The only way I see us getting closer to the ideal is more machines
> > really dedicated to just Boost testing...
>
> Or going to an active system like Buildbot.

I don't think the existence of Buildbot solves all of our resource issues. I
would expect only a limited number of the current regression testers will be
able to install and use Buildbot -- I'm certain there will be firewall and
other issues for some that just stop this from happening. Plus if it takes 5
hours to run a Boost build you will still have a long delay before you find
out if something is broken. For most developers they would like to see a
library focused rebuild, which for most could happen in minutes. As an
example, since almost nothing in Boost depends on date-time it's very hard for
me to break all of Boost. So rerunning all of the Boost regression for a
date-time check-in is mostly a waste of resources. We've also had several
previous discussions on other things that are pushing up the need for
additional resources including: Boost is just plain getting bigger, need for
non-debug regression tests, double testing for dll non-dll versions of linked
libs, etc.

Jeff