From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-22 17:50:14

"David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote

> If I want some other arbitrary thing, like some special version of
> GCC, I install from source just as I would on any *nix system. I've
> done it many times.
>
> Yes, many projects supply precompiled binaries, but if I want
> something to work reliably in my environment I often find myself
> building it. In fact, that's the standard way to get a Python
> installation on *nix.

I very much doubt that this is typical, especially in the windows world. I,
for instance, always prefer binaries, if available, since I usually don't
want to become an expert in a tool, and the standard configuration is good
enough for me.

Why not have both?

Regards,
Arkadiy