From: Brian Braatz (brianb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-23 12:51:30

[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]]
> On Behalf Of John Maddock
> Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:13 AM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Why do we build debug variants of our compiled
> libraries?
>
> > Anyway, my recommendation is that we stop building debug variants of
> > compiled libraries by default. It's easy for the user to build them
if
> > they are really required.
>
> There is one exception: if you're using VC++ or some other compiler
that
> ships with multiple runtimes, then you *must* link against a Boost lib
> that's built against the same runtime as your application is using
> (probably
> a debug runtime during development). Of course on Linux (and probably
> most
> Unix variants) this is a non-issue.
>
> John.

[Brian Braatz Writes:]
thanks John- that is a good point

I recall you CAN also accomplish rolling in a "release" version of the
std runtime with debug build of an exe, but it is brittle and does not
work in all cases for all types of projects- this solution requires you
to very carefully tweak all the right compiler settings across all the
libraries.

In other words, just because you can doesn't mean you should :)