From: Kon Lovett (klovett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-31 08:55:07

Hi,

For some reason Tushar needs/wants to use C++, coming from a Java
background. (I went the other direction. Much easier.)

Perhaps some (more?) books would help:

- C++ For Java Programmers
by Timothy A. Budd

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201612461/002-8601771
-8450440?v=glance

- Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied
by Andrei Alexandrescu

qid=1112275961/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-8601771-8450440?v=glance&s=books

I cannot comment on the Budd volume but readers seem to like it. I can
recommend the one by Alexandrescu for template programming.

While reading code is still the best I do not recommend diving into
Boost source. The demands of multi-compiler support make for heavy
lifting; though a great way to learn multi-compiler support.

I guess I am saying adapt to the idioms of the language rather than
attempting to re-make it in some other language's image. Then you will
be able to use the inherent expressive power. (My 1st Snobol program
earned the comment "You have succeed in turning snobol into fortran."
With my 2nd and subsequent programs I learned my lesson.)

Best wishes,
Kon

On Mar 31, 2005, at 12:24 AM, Tushar wrote:

[snip]
> I agree. I have made some wrong statements. Original point was use of
> templates. Can any one tell me how it help to write code other then for
> primitive data types and classes that implements operator like =,<= to
> simulate primitive data type.
[snip]