From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-01 20:46:26

"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Doug Gregor wrote:
>> On Mar 11, 2005, at 10:08 PM, Misha Bergal wrote:
>>
>>> * When developer checks something in - she should see the results of
>>> that checkin ASAP. Something like telling the testing system, test
>>> me my library on all toolsets and return be the results, quick!
>>
>> This takes more hardware than we currently have access to, so it's not
>> very high priority to me.
>
> It is high priority to me, provided that it also works for male
> developers, of course. I've been trying to switch to a test-first
> development mode, but awaiting the results of the previous round of
> testing prevents me from working as quickly as I'd have liked.

"test-first" really does help. I normally develop under Windows, but have
installed Linux on an old machine, and also bought a cute little Mac Mini's
to test on Mac OS X. Being able to cycle tests quickly on all three
platforms really does speed multi-platform development.

If we put Boost's collective mind to it, perhaps we can come up with a way
to cycle tests much more quickly. I suspect we can find the machine
resources, particularly if we can make the testing process robust enough
that the test framework can be started, and then forgotten for months at a
time.

--Beman