From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-01 22:20:39

On Apr 1, 2005, at 8:46 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> Being able to cycle tests quickly on all three
> platforms really does speed multi-platform development.
> If we put Boost's collective mind to it, perhaps we can come up with a
> way
> to cycle tests much more quickly. I suspect we can find the machine
> resources,

OSL has two x86 Linux boxes we can spare (and should be usable in a
week or so). I'm thinking one of them can be an interactive testing
farm and perhaps the other can be set up for "continuous" testing,
e.g., each time a CVS commit is performed [1], regression tests are
re-run [2] and the results posted immediately (potentially coupled with
a script that automatically complains to the committer, as I've
mentioned before).

[1] Actually, it should wait about 5 minutes so that other related
commits can get into the repository first.
[2] Of course, if a test is already running then the re-run request
should be queued.

> particularly if we can make the testing process robust enough
> that the test framework can be started, and then forgotten for months
> at a
> time.

Yes, this would help greatly. Like OSL, I'm sure many companies and
universities can spare some bandwidth and compute cycles but not labor.
Make testing easy and we get more testing.

        Doug