From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-03 23:50:07

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 00:19:29 -0400, Miro Jurisic wrote

> People who insist on saying that fixed width wastes spaces are
> usually trying to solve the wrong problem. If you are reading text,
> how much space is wasted is usually irrelevant -- the relevant

I still disagree with this -- there are precious few pixels on the monitor.
The density of information is much lower than a printed page. Wasting space
leads to poor user interaction.

> qualities are your ability to quickly scan for important information
> and to read the content efficiently. Making lines arbitrarily long
> compromises your ability to read efficiently even though it makes
> more text fit on your screen.

Well you can say that, but resize the page -- there's lots of wasted
whitespace with fixed width. With fixed width the publisher is in control --
with variable with the user is in control. If you like short lines it is easy
to adjust your browser window size to achieve the desired effect. If I want
wide lines I can do that.

>...snip...
>
> My opinion is that the text should by default be set to a maximum
> width, because I believe that the default layout should emphasize
> readability, not spatial efficiency.

I favor user control over publisher control.

Jeff

ps: In case you can't tell this one is a pet peeve of mine -- I really, really
dislike fixed width sites. Let's not make Boost one of them.