From: Scott Woods (scottw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-12 15:32:10

Hi Boris,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boris" <boris_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 6:54 AM
Subject: [boost] Network library: What we have until now

> I updated
> http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostNet to
> document why what decisions were made.
>
> We have until now:
> * The network library should support four I/O models which are known to
many
> programmers as blocking, non-blocking, multiplexing and asynchronous.

[snip]
> http://www.highscore.de/boost/net/packages.png please (which is also in
the
> Wiki page). This is the overall architecture of the network library. If
you
> want me to change or add something please tell me.

The name :-)

I am unsure of some of the entries in the decision list. Runtime switchable
modes and
possibly the callback technique (in Michel's post) for async results. But I
cant give you
anything solid against; anything I might prefer I think can be built on top
of the interface
that Michel presented. The pain experienced around mode-switching in Winsock
is
probably just baggage.

But the name (network library)?

block_device_io?