From: Michel André (michel.andre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-12 15:33:59

Douglas Gregor wrote:
> I think the scope of this library is insane. We don't need to solve
> every single network I/O problem with one huge networking library.
> Having a solid socket library that handles only blocking with be a
> _huge_ improvement . Start small and don't be afraid to say "No! That's
> for the next version."

I will try to implement the interfaces i proposed using a simple select
event dispatcher and skip threading issues. Meaning one dispatcher per
thread and associate a socket with one thread and dispatcher. I think
this is feasible and could serve as a basis.

Thise means:

socket - facade for socket api (primarily to hide away platform headers
and hide minor differences)
event_dispatcher - select based non thread safe
tcp_stream - stream implementation for tcp
tcp_connector - connector to establish and create tcp_streams
tcp_acceptor - acceptor to listen to and establish and create tcp_streams
ip_address - address representation and simple gethostbyname
ip_endpoint - address + port
io_result - plattform independent result implementation

Would this be a reasonable scope for v1.

/Michel