From: Iain Hanson (Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-13 06:32:32

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:54 +0300, Boris wrote:
> Douglas Gregor wrote:
[snip]

> That's why I started this thread yesterday to
> ask if we have now a few things everyone agrees with and we can move on.

Boris, there are lots of things in this thread that I disagree with.
However, I don't have either the time or the energy to explain them all
and work on my own Library in which I have already invested 3 years
work.

[snip]

> I wish there was a network library already. But
> the reason why people started with a socket library and then left again
> unfinished is that there are lots of different opinions about what this
> library should do and look like.

Some of us have not left but are working quietly in the background.
predominately because we have seen the same kinds of discussions happen
over and over.

The main reason we do not have a socket lib is that even to produce a
basic lib supporting blocking, non-blocking and signal driven is that it
is a very big undertaking to produce good type safety, and be able to
cope with the richness of the BSD socket API functionality.

/ikh