From: Boris (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-13 08:11:19

Iain Hanson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:54 +0300, Boris wrote:
> [...]
> > I wish there was a network library already. But
> > the reason why people started with a socket library and then left again
> > unfinished is that there are lots of different opinions about what this
> > library should do and look like.
>
> Some of us have not left but are working quietly in the background.
> predominately because we have seen the same kinds of discussions happen
> over and over.

We have already dozens of C++ network libraries - just see the reference
list in the Wiki. And the problem with all these network libraries is that
everyone here in the list actually would have to read the source code of
each and every library to understand the design and evaluate if the design
meets his requirements. Instead of forcing everyone of us to go through
endless source code it is much easier and takes less time to talk about
requirements and possible designs here in the list first and then build a
network library based on decisions most of us seem to agree with. This might
be slow but so is standardizing. Unfortunately the network topic seems to be
a tough one, too, as many interests and goals come together. But I don't see
any shortcut if we want a network library which has strong support by many
developers. However just as Don I am not hopeless as implementing should be
much faster than discussing considering the many experienced network
developers on this list. And everyone seems to have a network library at
home so we can copy and paste probably a lot of code. ;)

Boris