From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-15 13:51:18

Martin Wille wrote:
> It's pretty sad that someone like Robert who wrote an amazing and so
> useful piece of software and who managed to get it reviewed and
> accepted
> by most knowledgeable and experienced software developers doesn't
> receive any reputation bonus for his contribution.

Uh oh, maybe I made it sound worse that it was. Its not THAT bad. That was
only one of my motivations. Obviously no sane person is going to go through
that kind of torture for just one line on his resume. Actually, this is in
line with my previous experience. Most of the things I set out to
accomplish did end up being rewarding in a material sense - it just took a
lot longer than I had anticipated.

> <lament>
> What makes me really worry is that many places even seem to be unaware
> of the fact that there is a C++ standard. I'm afraid most software is
> still being written by copy-pasting stuff from questionable sources on
> the web by people who don't understand what they're doing.
> </lament>

My main point was my disappointment at how the programming community seems
to see that everything is OK. The newer programming languages Java, C#,
VB, etc don't offer anything new in my opinion. I feel like I'm the only
person seeing this. Its lonely - that's why I monitor this list.

Robert Ramey