From: Victor A. Wagner Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-15 20:41:25

At Friday 2005-04-15 10:50, you wrote:
>Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>>I'm amazed to discover that in only ONE single case have any of the
>>programmers, managers, etc ever even heard of boost. This group even
>>includes an ex head of the computer science department at a top tier
>>university !!!
>
>FWIW, I've had similar experiences. I thought it would be a situation
>specific to the country I live in (Germany). While it's somewhat a relief
>to hear it isn't different elsewhere, it's also frustrating.
>
>It's pretty sad that someone like Robert who wrote an amazing and so
>useful piece of software and who managed to get it reviewed and accepted
>by most knowledgeable and experienced software developers doesn't receive
>any reputation bonus for his contribution.
>

><lament>
>What makes me really worry is that many places even seem to be unaware of
>the fact that there is a C++ standard. I'm afraid most software is still
>being written by copy-pasting stuff from questionable sources on the web
>by people who don't understand what they're doing.
></lament>

<snide reply>
There are companies that are still married to VC++6.0 and _won't_
change. As a result, we all pay for their stupidity.
I also notice (recently) that someone must have dumped a TON of Borland
Turbo C++ 3.0 on the market. We're getting a lot of inquiries about "why
won't it do this" in IRC (undernet/C++.
</snide reply>