From: Manfred Doudar (manfred.doudar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-17 02:59:37

Robert Ramey wrote:

>I'm amazed to discover that in only ONE single case have any of the
>programmers, managers, etc ever even heard of boost. This group even
>includes an ex head of the computer science department at a top tier
>university !!!

I'd consider that fortunate - you've had one instance, one solitary
experience
where "the outside world" had heard of boost and could relate. I've
never been
so fortunate just yet. Most disheartening is the fact that the only
time I've
known of people actively recruiting "boost-knowledge" have been overseas
vacancies.

Even where I work, not a single sole had heard of boost, until I
introduced it
(covertly at first, and when people had found out, there was no going
back - too much
had since already depended on the libraries - a small win I'd say).

It's interesting to see people come to terms with the technology, at
first they
try to avoid it, thinking it some kind of black magic - and slowly, they
begin
to learn for themselves. We now have libraries here, built on top of
boost, which
this organization could no longer do without - and could honestly never
have had
without the boost libraries.

It's really a shame so few know or have heard of boost - even worse,
those that know,
and avoid it. :-(

--
Manfred Doudar