From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-18 11:29:43

From: Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart wrote:
> > From: Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]>
> >
> > - The two-column navbar takes a lot of space. If your browser is
> > narrow for whatever reason, the navbar dominates.
>
> That it does.. I'm attempting to implement a minimum width which would
> help that (it's not easy with just CSS). But that would introduce
> previous problems re: left-right scrolling.

I suppose there's some reason you only want to use CSS, but it
seems to be overly limiting in cases like this. Are there other
techniques that would produce the desired result that are
currently disallowed? If folks new they could get X by
permitting technology/technique Y, they might agree.

> > - If your browser window is sufficiently narrow, the section
> > based approach separates the sections of the navbar from one
> > another. Therefore, instead of this layout:
> >
> > text1 navbar1
> > text1
> >
> > text2 navbar2
> > text2
> >
> > text3 navbar3
> > text3
> >
> > I'd like this layout:
> >
> > text1 navbar1
> > text1 navbar2
> > navbar3
> > text2
> > text2
> >
> > text3
> > text3
>
> Unfortunately that layout removes the topical connection of the
> navbar/sidebar to the text.

I'm sorry, but I don't see that much connection now. Only the
Groups/Contribute navbar links seem appropriate to the
Participation text. The rest are only loosely, at best,
connected. How about this approach:

Boost navbar1
Boost navbar3

Participation
Participation
Groups Contribute
Groups Contribute

Latest News

IOW, move what I originally labeled navbar2 beneath the small
amount of text in the Participation section, rather than keeping
them in the right column. Then, all remaining navbar links can
be in the right column and could, quite possibly, be managed in
one column.

That approach would closely tie the Groups/Contribute links to
the Participate text and leave all of the other navbar links in a
single, less dominant right hand column.

> > - Why not put some of the navbar links in drop-down hotspots or
> > buttons across the top? That would reduce the number of links
> > that need to be presented in the right side navbar.
>
> Unless it's something that can be applied to other pages, i.e. the
> version history page, I would not put it at the top. For example that's
> what I did for my site: http://redshift-software.com

OK.

> > - If you keep the two-column navbar, then the
> > Boost/Documentation/Mailing Lists list box for search should be
> > alongside the search input box. It looks odd with the search
> > input, list box, and Google logo stacked one above the other.
>
> Yes. The version on my disk has the search box taking the full sidebar
> space. Not sure about the Google logo, I'll try it above and see.

Your update has fixed it for me.

> Something else I'm trying is to see having a different proportion of the
> text vs. sidebar is fitting for a larger set of people's screens,
> default or otherwise.

Perhaps my layout suggestion will help.