From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-23 01:20:46

Rob Stewart wrote:
> I suppose there's some reason you only want to use CSS, but it
> seems to be overly limiting in cases like this.

Because it allows the most flexibility. And it's generally good to have
separation of concerns. In the HTML world that means CSS for
presentation, X/HTML for structure.

But more importantly it's much easier using CSS to support multiple
rendering devices. For example text only (lynx, TDD, etc).

> Are there other
> techniques that would produce the desired result that are
> currently disallowed? If folks new they could get X by
> permitting technology/technique Y, they might agree.

I should have really said.. That it's hard to only use CSS because of
the totally broken Microsoft Internet Explorer. It's actually easy with
only Gecko (Firefox et all), Konkeror, Safary, etc.

> I'm sorry, but I don't see that much connection now.

Some connection is better than no connection. As Dave said about the
arrangement, it's not great but he could not think of a better one. So
an arrangement of the sidebar links that improves the connections is
certainly welcomed.

> IOW, move what I originally labeled navbar2 beneath the small
> amount of text in the Participation section, rather than keeping
> them in the right column. Then, all remaining navbar links can
> be in the right column and could, quite possibly, be managed in
> one column.

That would break the natural flow of the text on the left. And would
also break the visual balance between the left and right sides.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything