From: Thorsten Ottosen (nesotto_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-24 11:43:31

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
| On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 23:32:22 +0200, Thorsten Ottosen wrote

| > 5. variant
|
| Is variant used widely enough to spend the time to standardize?

maybe not.

| > 6. iostreams
|
| Agree on this too.
|
| Should we be considering some of the new collection types: circular_buffer,
| mutli_array, multi_index, ptr_containers?

I asked abuot ptr_containers and the answer was "not yet".

| Or are the uses too esoteric for
| standarization?

probably. I wouldn't write any proposal before hearing what the committee
thinks;
In Lillehammer we rejected a policy-based smart pointer and it should never
have gotten
that far; I mean, David H. spent a lot of time writing the proposal and that
time could have been
saved.

| What about serialization -- it's a big library, but really
| important.

people are working on a proposal about reflection for C++0x which would give
automatic serialization; so we'd better wait with this.

| --> number types (unlimited / fixed point)

unlimited types where also rejected on the grouns it serves too few people
compared to how hard it is to implement.

-Thorsten