From: Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) (SeeWebsiteForEmail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-24 11:46:52

Peter Dimov wrote:
> I'm not sure whether we need to bother, though. The current
> Boost.Threads already seems "fast-tracked" into C++0x, with Beman,
> Howard and Pete Becker behind it. Major changes probably don't stand a
> chance. And I'm not very optimistic about any minor changes, either.

Oops. (Thanks Dave Abrahams for writing me about this thread.) That's
news to the group that is actively working on standardizing a memory
model for C++. (See
http://jupiter.robustserver.com/pipermail/cpp-threads_decadentplace.org.uk/
for details.)

I think I'd be representing the opinion of the entire group by saying
that a library-only approach is naive at best. See for example "Threads
Cannot Be Implemented As A Library" by Hans Boehm at
http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2004/HPL-2004-209.pdf, paper admitted
at the prestigious conference PLDI 2005 (sign that others believe Hans
actually makes sense). Actually I believe that any expert in threading
would cringe at the thought that Boost.Threads made it in the C++ standard.

Speaking for myself about the quality of Boost.Threads' design itself, I
would add that it compares unfavorably (to use an euphemism) with many
other threading library interface for C++ or other languages - actually
all I know of, including unpublicized ad-hoc threading libraries
developed in-house at various companies I've worked with.

At any rate, if Boost.Threads is to be standardized, then it would be
good to let everybody know because that would imply dissolvation of the
group that I have started and that Hans Boehm is de facto leading.

Andrei