From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-26 10:29:34

Edward Diener <eddielee_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>> "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> | On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 23:32:22 +0200, Thorsten Ottosen wrote
>> | What about serialization -- it's a big library, but really
>> | important.
>>
>> people are working on a proposal about reflection for C++0x which
>> would give automatic serialization; so we'd better wait with this.
>
> Having a reflection facility in C++ does not obviate the need for a
> serialization library. Furthermore since the reflection work is closed
> to those outside of the committee, AFAICS

What can you see that indicates the work is closed to those outside
the committee?

> I will be sorely disappointed if C++ does not have serialization in
> the next C++ standard, but perhaps the C++ committee is working on
> that also.

You can pretty much tell what the committee is working on by looking
at the contents of the publicly available mailings. There haven't
been any serialization papers in any mailings I've seen. If you want
to avoid disappointment, I suggest you write and submit a proposal.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting