From: Jeffrey Williams (jwilliams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-27 10:38:49

> Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:40:13 -0400
> From: Edward Diener <eddielee_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: [boost] Re: TR2 and C++0x heads up

<snip>

> I disagree on this. It is clearly wrong, in my eyes, to propose any
> library to the C++ standard committee when that library is someone
> else's work. I greatly respect Mr. Ramey for the work he has done and is
> doing to make the Boost serialization library as good as it is but I
> would never want to propose such a library for inclusion as a standard
> library unless the creator of the library wanted to promote it also. It
> is also unfair to put that creator in such a position of extra work
> which standardizing a library might entail.

First paragraph of boost license:

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person or organization
obtaining a copy of the software and accompanying documentation covered by
this license (the "Software") to use, reproduce, display, distribute,
execute, and transmit the Software, and to prepare derivative works of the
Software, and to permit third-parties to whom the Software is furnished to
do so, all subject to the following:

Therefore, I must ask why you think it is inappropriate to propose someone
else's work (which is part boost),
if they had or have a problem with that, that should not of released their
work under the boost
license which clearly would allow such an activity.

Jeff