From: Giovanni P. Deretta (lordshoo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-27 10:45:30

Larry Evans wrote:
> On 04/26/2005 05:22 PM, Giovanni P. Deretta wrote:
> [snip]
>

>> As your code demonstrates, enumerators can be used without duplicating
>> information, but an enum and map enum->type is required for each
>> tuple. This is verbose and should be wrapped in a macro. Then again,
>> I don't
>

> Agreed.
>
>> like macros a lot :)
>

> But mpl and fusion are profuse with macros, or at least
> boost/preprocessor.

Sure, I write macros myself, but i try to avoid them if i can.

>> In the end, getting 'by type' has the same expressive power of using
>> enumerators, i simply think that it would have a better syntax and it
>> would work out of the box with all tuples without the need of a map.
>

> But it wouldn't work for repeated types, unless, as you
> noted previously, some sort of "tag" were "associated" with
> the type, which is what an mpl::map does, only it assures there's
> only one type associated with each tag; whereas the example:
>
> tuple<mpl::list<element1_type, element1_tag>, mpl::list<element2_type,
> element2_tag>,.....>
>
> in one of your previous messages:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/122595
>
> doesn't assure this, AFAICT. Also, I'd think mpl::pair would be more
> succinct.

Why not? You would get by 'tag' i.e. get<element1_tag>(tuple).
An extended_tuple<mpl::pair<type1, tag1>, mpl::pair<type2, tag2>...>; is
almost exactly the same of a TR1 tuple<type1, type2 ...>; the extra tags
are only used to accessing the tuple. I think i failed to expain this,
from your next example i think you thought that my extended_tuple where
some sort of mpl-like container.
The extended_tuple probably requires modification to tuple code, so it
is not really viable.
And yes, mpl::pair would be better, but i couldn't find it in the mpl
documentation :)

> So, the tuple version of the following:
> struct employ
> { string name;
> float salary;
> int ssn;
> };
>
> could be:
>
> struct name{};
> struct salary{};
> struct ssn{};
>
> tuple
> < mpl::pair<string,name>
> , mpl::pair<float,salary>
> , mpl::pair<int,ssn>
> >::type;
>
> which is not that much shorter than the enum_map_0 shown in my
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/122661
>
> After all, for each enum_map_0::f_i, for i=0..2, there's
> got to be a tag with your method:
>
> struct name{};
> struct salary{};
> struct ssn{};
>
> and there's also got to be a pairing of tags to types, just as in
> the enum_map_0::field_map.
>
> Am I missing something?

Well, in my extended tuple example tags are _not_ associated with a
tuple. Different tuples can reuse the same tag set or part of it.
This is very useful for generic programming, for example, i may have a
function that accept a tuple having a some_tag slot. Doing this with
enum is clumsy and not type safe. I.e. a tuple might not map the whole
enum set enum {a, b, c}, but get<a>(tuple_foo) would still compile even
if 'a' is not logically part of tuple_foo. Also you are forced to use
the enum ordering. Anyway, i don't think you proposed to reuse the same
enums, only the names, but then you are forced to write enums for every
tuple.
Anyway, I think i will try fusion now :)

--
Giovanni P. Deretta